Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bye Bye Nursing Bra!

Well after a week of supplementing with formula I am happy to say that Elliott gained almost a whole pound! Yes in just seven days! So I have stopped breast feeding completely so we can try some new medications for my medical condition.
It's like I have a whole new baby! He was always very observant, but now he is in to everything! He also is more physically active and more vocal. He sleeps more during the day, and is better rested when he wakes up.
Also I got my girls into a push up bra for the first time in over 6 months and WOW do my clothes ever fit better!!
I am also pumped because I am not his food source any more! My husband gets to share in feeding Elliott now too. It doesn't just fall on me! It means I don't have to have guilt about going out somewhere and leaving Elliott at home, fretting if I pumped enough for him.
As you can tell I am excited. There ARE several things I don't like about this whole bottle business.
The amount of waste it produces. Liners for bottles, the bottles themselves, the packaging for the formula, the emissions from shipping the formula, and just the extra burden on the environment formula feeding causes.
I don't like washing up all the bottles over and over and over again. I don't like that he sees the bottle and starts freaking out. I don't like having to wait for a bottle to warm up.
Having to be prepared! Before I could just whip out the boob. Now I have to make sure I have enough formula in the house. Enough bottles when I go out. Enough liners. Its a lot of work too.
Middle of the night feeds really suck now. They now involve my husband. He gets up and changes Elliott while I run downstairs to put a prepared bottle into hot water for a few minutes.
I hope as Elliott puts on weight he will stop getting up in the middle of the night. He started sleeping through the night just before he turned 4 months, but then stopped a few short weeks later.
To those moms who think its so much more work to breast feed then it is to bottle feed I poo poo you! I would have to say, from my perspective that they are both equal work with their own unique pros and cons.

No comments:

Post a Comment