Thursday, September 10, 2009

Surprising pretty laid back!

Looking back at my 7 months of motherhood I am, as is some of my close family members, shocked at how laid back a parent I am. I thought the OCD creature that lurks in the depths of my brain and randomly springs would have seen this motherhood adventure as perfect prey, but I guess not.
Elliott has a relaxed schedule. He is not forced to bed unless up till a ridiculous time. He eats when he is hungry, naps when he is tired, plays by himself when feeling independent, and snuggles when needing comfort. The T.V. is on as a form of musical entertainment, something to fill the silence, and on occasion something to fall asleep to.
I honestly thought I would be the rigid granola parent. Using clothe diapers, making my own baby food, being super scheduled, taking him to several learning classes, NO T.V., reading at least a dozen books a day, and constantly having him in a sling. Well Elliott has different ideas, as I am sure many parents have found out with their own babies.
He is a touch of a loner like his mom. He enjoys mine, and his fathers company. But even too much of us and he wants alone time. He finds sitting still for a book reading at the end of the day extremely frustrating (books are now read in the afternoon while laying on our bellies in his play area), he HATES the sling (I have tried several and still he does not like them, yet I keep trying). He enjoys exploring ON HIS OWN thank you very much! He gets frustrated if you do things for him. And just when I think, "wow does this kid even need me?" he has a mommy day where he wants to snuggle all day, practice his cooing noises, and touch my hair and face.
I honestly thought a day in the life of mother hood would be scheduled and similar from one day to the next. Its not. He is learning what kind of person he is, I am, and his father is, and growing and changing accordingly.
I am thankful he isn't the same little person from day to day. Sure sometimes it puts me behind on my domestic duties, sometimes it leaves me feeling kinda lonely, sometimes it makes me super frustrated, but ultimately I am finding motherhood far more a unique laid back experience then I could have ever imagined!

No comments:

Post a Comment