Monday, August 3, 2009

Teething. Its a Bitch!

My little guy is growing up so fast. I find in this last few days to be taking as many pictures of his gummy smile as I can. Which, due to his grumpy demeanor, seems to be less and less.
It all started with a nectarine. I was eating one. It was super ripe. Elliott was reaching for it and making chewy face as I call it. So I let him suck on it a little and didn't think twice about it. He was just 5 months at the time, and had been showing interest in solid food for several weeks. Well... the next morning I wake up to a hive covered baby. EEK! Okay so after some research peaches and nectarines are a common baby food allergy (some people are sensitive to certain types of foods, but only as infants) Peaches and nectarines are close cousins. Not a big deal, guess he will try them again in a few months and go from there. Here's the thing though. Elliott is breast fed. He only poops once a week. So he had that poison in him for four days after he first ate it. His hives cleared up after some baby Benadryl. BUT he kept getting baby acne from everything. When he was first born he would break out in baby acne from any contact with peoples clothes. It was horrible to look at, but I guess doesn't really effect them at all. At the age of 4 months his baby acne cleared up like it was suppose to, but after this allergic reaction he was reacting to everything again. And WOW was he grumpy.
Four days after the nectarine sampling he was still covered head to toe in spots, but no fever, and was still super grump.... and that is when it happened. A tooth popped out! To which my mother replies "OH! When you cut your teeth you had a teething rash just like that!" This of course is after the fact she has me all worried about the head to toe spots that didnt seem to be bothering him, and had me convinced to take him to the doctor the following day. So the tooth pops out, the rash goes away, and we have a kinda cranky baby...
The nectarine was just bad timing and distracted us from the fact he was a drooling, chewing, grumpy, mad man, and had us thinking it all had to do with this bad reaction.
So my little man has his first tooth. The second tooth has been threatening to break through for a few days now. I can tell you he seems to be much sleepier when he is cutting teeth, and he is more prone to being grumpy. But he does seem to take delight in biting me while I am feeding him.
One product I have found extremely helpful is the RaZ Berry by RaZbaby seen here: Razbaby.com
I picked up the red and green one originally. The red part is full of water and you can freeze it. Then I also picked up the clear blue one.
The reason I find this product so helpful is that all the conventional teething rings seem to be to big for Elliott's mouth. Also he doesn't seem to have the dexterity with his hands to be able to keep them in his mouth. This familiar soother shaped teether did the trick. He was already use to using his soother as a teether, and was good at maneuvering it. So when offered this he took to it right away, and loves it. He does not get frustrated with it like he does with the normal teething rings, and its handy because you can use a soother clip with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment