Sunday, August 2, 2009

T.V. - Idiot Box, or Saviour?

Some parents are completely apposed to letting their child watch T.V. until an older age. Some studies actually suggest that T.V. should not be watched by a child until the age of two. Some parents, like myself, have the T.V. on all day.
Its so up in the air. Cartoons of late for younger children are actually educational. Even more so then Sesame Street, which was probably the only educational cartoon on T.V. when I was a child. I grew up on Rainbow Brite, Transformers, Duck Tails, just to name a few. My T.V. is always set to Tree house while Elliott is awake. I was very surprised by the amount of education every program has to offer. If its not going over ABC's and 123's it covering cause and effect, manners, problem solving, and social cues. For this reason I feel completely comfortable having it on all day, in direct eyesight for my son. He actually doesn't watch much T.V. His hands and toes seem to be more interesting lately, or the toy that is just out of reach.
What it comes down to for me is the use of the Television. I am not using it to babysit my child. I don't depend on it for his sol entertainment through out the day, and I actually discuss what we are watching when we are watching it together.
Ultimately its the parents choice. I know that once he is old enough to play outside, or do other things the T.V. will not be on in place of those activities. But for now, its on all day, it keeps me company, and there are some super cute cartoons (Big and Small) out there!
Whatever you choose stick by your guns, and don't let family or friends make you feel guilty or foolish. Its you choice as a parent, and you need to do what feels right!

No comments:

Post a Comment